[ad_1]

WASHINGTON — What’s a Trump campaign without a Trump rally?

That’s the question confounding the president’s reelection campaign as it faces the new reality that their candidate is largely confined to the four walls of his home along with the rest of the nation.

As the coronavirus infection spread across the country in March, the president was forced to cancel a string of rallies in important battleground states including Wisconsin, Florida and Colorado last month

He lamented the decision during a March 12 Oval Office appearance but has since turned the daily prime time coronavirus task force briefings — some lasting over two hours — into his new stage, telling reporters, “I’ve gotten to like this room.”

“He can survive without them,” one source close to the campaign said of Trump’s cancelled rallies.

“I’d be more concerned if I were the Biden campaign than the Trump campaign,” he added, noting former veep Joe Biden’s failure to gain traction while he is cooped up in his Delaware home.

“Trump doesn’t need rallies because he’s getting so much media right now,” the source said. “For whatever his neuroses, he seems like a strong leader in a crisis.”

The president’s reelection campaign believe they have a sizable edge over Biden because of the giant data-driven operation they have built over the past three years.

By election day, Trump 2020 will have direct contact to 50 million people — more voter contact information than any political campaign in history and the largest list in the U.S. aside from a few private organizations, campaign manager Brad Parscale said last month.

Deputy Communications Director Ali Pardo told The Post more than 500,000 volunteers made 1.5 million calls on a single day last month urging people to vote for Trump.

“The Trump Campaign has a significant advantage because of our early and ongoing investment in data and technological infrastructure that began in 2015,” Pardo said.

The campaign also broadcasts nightly on YouTube, with daughter-in-law and campaign adviser Lara Trump taking on the new role of anchor as she interviews conservatives and campaign associates.

But sources close to the president say they are worried the campaign is failing to do enough to strike Biden while he’s down and fear the coronavirus crisis could still derail the administration.

“Fundraising dollars are going to slow down,” said a longtime Trump associate. “I’d be kicking the s—t out out of the super PAC to go after Biden.”

“It’s frustrating this has the opportunity to derail the entire four years of his administration and the truth is you can’t blame the campaign. They can‘t really do much,” he added.

The campaign source said Trump 2020 shouldn’t be taking its hardest shots at Biden right now because it needed to focus on a unifying theme amid the deadly pandemic, but agreed the Pro-Trump America First Action super PAC could be doing more.

“I really agree with that. I think a lot of people agree with that,” he said.

At the end of 2019, Trump’s campaign had an enormous $102 million in the bank, seriously outgunning Biden who had just $8.9 million in his coffers, according to Open Secrets data.

However, America First Action is being aggressively outspent by the main Democrat super PAC, who have dropped nearly double than what they have this year.

Priorities USA Action has spent $6.2 million in 2020, compared to America First Action’s $3.7 million, according to Open Secrets.

Last week, America First finally announced a $10 million spend in the battleground states of Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan — setting up a battle royale in November.

“It’s time to put Sleepy Joe Biden to bed,” Brian Walsh, America First Action PAC’s president, said in a statement. “This is our first round of spending, with much more to come.”

“By the time November rolls around, voters in battleground states are going to know why Joe Biden is weak, wrong and been around for too long to lead the United States of America,” he warned.

[ad_2]

Source link